Joe update: Saying goodbye

Sitting here to write this post I feel at a loss for words. the best way to describe Joe was that he was a true blessing, Marsha calls him loving, generous, giving, brilliant, and brave. He was the most loving husband, father and grandfather. We got a phone call early Sunday morning that Joe was very weak and that Marsha could not get him off the floor. she called 911 who was coming as just lift support. While EMS was at the house Joe got really rigid and fell back on the bed, they were concerned he had, had a seizure so decided to take him to the hospital. They had a lot of difficulty obtaining a blood pressure in the ambulance. Once getting a blood pressure they had a difficult time keeping a good blood pressure. At the hospital they ran a lot of tests and it appeared as though Joe definitely had a right lung pneumonia and possible heart attack. His breathing got very labored and he was complaining of chest and abdominal discomfort. They placed him on an assistive mask to help comfort his breathing and immediately began antibiotics. They had to try multiple times to start an IV and draw blood. Joe through all of this never once complained. He stayed so strong and promised to fight. And fight he did. He was transferred to the ICU. In the ICU Marsha was able to talk to the doctor about their wishes, we had all decided as a family to provide as much support as Joe wanted, his wishes were to not do any CPR. At about midnight his breathing became more difficult and they decided to intubated him (place a breathing tube to assist his breathing) and also began several medications to support his blood pressure. Joe fought all night long despite telling us he wanted to go home and trying to climb out of bed. At about 7:00 o'clock this morning Joe began saying he was tired of fighting. He told Marsha more than 3 times that he was ready to go to heaven. We know he was continuing to fight for us. As soon as Marsha told him he could go he did. Joe passed very peacefully with his beautiful baby bride by his side. He knew his loving family was there to support him and are thankful for the time we had with him.. It was very hard for us as a family as we thought we at least had several more months but know that God is in control and Joe was ready to be done with his fight. Even at my mom's last treatment her oncologist said something that truly spoke to me and comforted me.....He said "Having faith through experiences like this makes life so much sweeter, knowing that we do ALL that we can do but then place it all in God's hands knowing that at the end of the day He is ultimately in control." SO thankful for that thankful Joe is in a beautiful place with no more pain, no more cancer, no more bruises and no more heartache.

Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted. 
Matthew 5:4

Marsha asked that I send out this update via email and on this blog. Please allow her time to mourn with family and we will update you hopefully tomorrow on here about funeral arrangements.